Answers to Last Week's Submarine Q.O.T.W.
2. Salutes in the frigid arctic are fairly rare occasions; who was the individual (name and rank) receiving the above salute? ANS: Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV), the Honorable Dr. Donald C. Winter.
3. Identify the name, and hull number of the sub whose unmarked sail is shown? ANS: USS Alexandria (SSN-757).
4. Identify a second submarine that had participated (name and hull number) in the same ICEX as the sub shown above. ANS: HMS Tireless (S88).
5. Some video for a feature length Sci-Fi production was produced during the same ICEX.
As a result of a tragedy claiming lives from the second sub, the film, released the next year, was dedicated to the memory of those submariners. Who were they (names and rates). ANS: Leading Operator Mechanic Paul McCann and Operator Maintainer (Weapons Submariner) 2 Anthony Huntrod, of the HMS Tireless crew.
6. Which lead actor shared something in common with sailors who died, and identify their commanality? ANS: Samantha Tapping (below) was born in the U.K. as were the two members of HMS Tireless's crew who lost their lives.
Submarines are always silent and strange.