Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Belated Apologies to Forendy!

Regarding my March 27th posting, Broadside of Submarine HMS Torbay's Sail, Molten Eagle had asked readers "To which side of the vessel is the object actually attached?"

The next day forendy (a torpedoman in Her Majesty's submarines) attempted to stand me straight:
"I think you may have been suckered on this one Vigilis, if you look at the dentology and the shroud inlet you should be able to identify that the protruberance is on the starbord side only. Not interchangeable.Us Brits have enough dificulty getting it to fit correctly without adding further complications.Good try though!!! "

Whereupon ME persisted in his error: "With all due respect, Forendy, other photos show it portside based on ship's heading. Please take another look at Blue Boat here: Steely Blue."

After closer examination, forendy had it right all along, and I am wiping egg from my face.
At least I was correct about this (which has always been posted at the top of this blog):

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." -Richard P. Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize Laureate in Physics 1965.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|