Answers to Submarine QOTW 25 JAN 2014
Background information and photos presented when the Questions of the Week (Q.O.T.W.) answered below were originally posted may be found here: 25 JAN 2014.
1. The Cross Hall Galley has a slogan printed on a wall; what is that slogan? ANS: "Through these lines pass the best fed sailors in the Navy."
2. According to a Culinary Specialist First Class there, from where are all its cooks drawn? ANS: Culinary Specialist First Class Jose Rosarivas, a New London native, said, "All our guys come from submarines, where they're used to cooking for an entire crew.
3. About celebrity chef Robert Irvine:
- a) how long was his navy service? ANS: about ten tears.
- b) in which navy did did Irvine serve? ANS: Brittain's Royal Navy
- c) what navy career had he wanted and why did the navy make him a cook? ANS: A cook. (see answer to 4(c) below.
- a) what made Chef Irvine uncomfortable? ANS: He was the only one eating (in the galley) on film.
- b) for what did Chef Irvine apologize? ANS: Use of the word 'retarded'. He never apologized for using the F-word twice.
- c) what did Chef Irvine say that unintentionally slights navy cooks? ANS: "I was a dummy, because in England you take maths and english tests to join the navy, 5 being the lowest 1 being the highest... I got 5, 5 ...the recruiter said, you're in the navy, but you can only be a cook."
- d) your best guess as to who the lady in low-cut blouse and oversized gold dolphin cap is ? ANS: His wife, Gail Kim. (see 2008 photo below)