Submarine Q.O.T.W. - 6 MAR 2014
The Port of Piraeus is Greece's largest seaport and among the largest in the Mediterranean Sea basin. In 483 BC, the Athenian fleet was transferred to Piraeus. Since 2010, Pier II has been leased and managed by Cosco, China's global shipping giant, while Pier I is still managed by Greece.
Piraeus's total dock length is 2,774 meters (8,636 ft) with maximum depth of 18 meters. A third pier is scheduled for completion in 2015, and Piers I and II have been expanded.
Questions of The Week
1. What is the largest commissioned vessel in the U.S. Navy, and where has it been deployed recently?
2. Where is the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) located?
3. What is USS George H.W. Bush's draft (in meters)?
4. What is USS George H.W. Bush's lenght (in feet)?
5. How many long tons does CVN-77 displace?
6. How easily could CVN-77 dock at Piraeus?
7. Is CVN-77 on a war-footing or training mission?
8. From Athens (Port of Piraeus) is Crimea within CVN-77's reach?
9. How many SSNs shadow (screen) CVN-77 when deployed?
ANSWERS (1-7): Monday 10 MAR 2014 (answer to 9 is slightly strange).
Submarines are always silent and strange.