Answers Sub Q.O.T.W. from 6 MAR 2014
1. What is the largest commissioned vessel in the U.S. Navy, and where has it been deployed recently? ANS: The USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77), which has been deployed to the Med.
2. Where is the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) located? ANS: At the time the QOTW were posted, CVN-77 was docked in the port of Piraeus, Greece.
3. What is USS George H.W. Bush's draft (in meters)? ANS: 11.3
4. What is USS George H.W. Bush's lenght (in feet)? ANS: 1,092.
5. How many long tons does CVN-77 displace? ANS: 102,00 L.T.s
6. How easily could CVN-77 dock at Piraeus? ANS: Without difficulty; maximum pier depth is 17-18 meters, and Pier 1 length is adequate.
7. Is CVN-77 on a war-footing or training mission? ANS: The largest aircraft carrier of the U.S. Navy is in Piraeus (near Athens). Officially, CVN-77 is on a training mission. However, see answer to number 8 (below).
8. From Athens (Port of Piraeus) is Crimea within CVN-77's reach? ANS: Piraeus is within easy reach of the Black Sea by CVN-77's F/A-18 air wings (map). UPDATE: Now within 500 miles (docked in Antalya, Turkey). - source
9. How many SSNs shadow (screen) CVN-77 when deployed? ANS: A safe bet would is at least one submarine.
Submarines are always silent and strange.